Tuesday, April 10, 2012

My Unsolicited Opinion on...

This year's Fest lineup!

Ahh, the smell of Fest is in the air. Oh wait, that's just the aroma of spilled PBR on a puddle of sweat and excitement on my front porch. This is the time of year when Gainesville hotels open up their schedule for October, and when the official (albeit subject to change) lineup is released. This is when the buzz starts, and when I start making my lists.

Bands I've never seen live that I'm really stoked about:

  • Naked Raygun!!
  • Braid
  • Make Do and Mend- I got End Measured Mile a couple months ago, and it's a seriously solid record.
  • Luther- I haven't listened to them in-depth, but whoever runs their Twitter account is funny as shit!
  • Reverse the Curse- I missed them last year, and heard all about how rad they are.
  • Bridge and Tunnel- Same as above.
  • Banner Pilot - I tried to see them twice last year, and missed them both times.

Bands I was introduced to last year that I want to see again:

  • Big Eyes - I saw them in Orlando a few months ago, but the sound in that place was awful.
  • Nato Coles & the Blue Diamond Band - Coles is a bunch of fun to watch on stage, a true rock personality comes out in him.
  • RVIVR - Holy shit dude! I saw them by accident and they blew me away!
  • The Wild - I can only imagine what these kids could pull off with an ample recording budget. There are so many layers to their sound, and I really dig their overall message: PMA.
  • Algernon Cadwallader - I only saw them at Pre-Fest last year, so I definitely need to catch their full set this year. 
  • Pretty Boy Thorson & the Fallen Angels- I don't know how they escaped my radar for so long, but I'll never miss them again.
  • Unfun- Oh wait, they're not playing this year. SUPER SAD FACE.

Bands I've seen a few times before that I want to see again anyways:


  • Coffee Project - I hope they play Empty Bottles of Foxhorn. And Oh Sweet Pickle.
  • Cheap Girls - I finally sat down and listened to Giant Orange...three times in a row. So rad! I really love their sound, and they've been in my regular rotation since the first record. I can't say enough about them.
  • Grabass Charlestons - Duh.
  •  Mikey Erg - My musical crush. I wonder how many bands he's playing in this year.
  • Off With Their Heads - I'll always see these guys if they're playing near me. Fun to watch, solid anthem-y punk, great sense of humor.


Finally, my homeys that are playing this year:


  • Go Rydell - These guys crash my place whenever they're in Tampa, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Good dudes, good music, good times.
  • How Dare You - I'm so glad they're playing again! However, if I could make one humble request to the Fest Powers-That-Be, it would be to place them at Durty Nelly's. Their sound is so rich, it was way more than the Laboratory's PA could handle last year.
  • New Bruises - Always a party! They also make the best shirts.
  • Too Many Daves - So. Many. Daves.


All in all, I'm really excited about this year's lineup. There are a lot of names I don't recognize, so I've got some research to do before October. Man, I really hope @JADEDPUNKHULK shows up. I don't know who he is, but his tweets make me laugh my ass off every single day. I'm also looking forward to eating nothing but Flaco's for the whole weekend. Now I'm off to wait (im)paitently for the next six months.

P.S.: If you want to read my thoughts on last year's Fest, go here: https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150273227847706

No comments:

Post a Comment